Wednesday, October 15, 2008

2006 Tamarack Cellars Firehouse Red


From Columbia Valley, a six grape blend: Syrah, Cab Sauvignon, Cab Franc, Malbec, Merlot and uno mas, I think - no notes. You know I love Washington State wines and funky blends.

On the nose off the bottle, I thought it was all Napa bomb oak. Jamie tried it first: "I really like it, but you won't."

Is it like the Sous Creek I asked? "Yes, but Sous Creek is much better, this has tons of oak".

Definitely charcoaled oak /ash on the palate and nose. Firm tannins, with hints of cellar floor, high toned cherry - but still super young. Plenty of better Wash wines to drink, but Tamarack shows promise and is not so expensive as others.

Would drink Syzygy Red Wine over this right now, but their current release is 2004, and this is 2006 - so lets revisit in awhile. Not going on the BONDA list quite yet, but at $50 it will be an easy wine to sell for Napa Cab heads and I can get behind it!

No comments: