Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Charles Smith /K Vintners Tasting

Has anyone been following my twitter feed @365Wines?  You can also see the last 5 tweets on the left hand feed. I am finding that I can tweet about a wine that I am drinking at the moment - to live the tasting - then go back and create a blog post about how I experienced the wine. If you are on Twitter, please follow, and let me know about your feed and I will follow you back!

I had a focused tasting tonight at BONDA for the Charles Smith /K Vintners' portfolio in CT - a fantastic Washington State producer. Artisan Wines (run by our friend Rob Makin) had K Vintner's in CT and NY for many years, but they decided to go with a larger NY distrib, and thus Rob let them go in CT, as it is a much smaller market. We have carried their Syrahs by in the past and currently have the '04 Milbrandt Syrah on the list.

Luckily, Opici picked up the portfolio and I got to try all the new wines. The wine maker, Charles Smith sold his House Wine label, and with the profits started an eponymous second label, focused on single varietal, single vineyard wines. The wines are all "entry level" at $12 to $20 a bottle, but definitely do not taste like wines that inexpensive.

Our Opici salesperson Anna Lisa arranged the tasting for me with her K Vintners rep who regaled me with tales of the winemaker and the history of the wines. It was the last stop of their for the day at 5:45, so it might have been a little rushed.

First up was the Holy Cow Chardonnay, which was a treat. Great Northwest fruit with little maloactic fermentation, a bit of oak - but great fruit. Very European in style. I think the rep called it a New Old World wine. Next was the Kung Fu Girl Riesling which was also tasty - not at all cloying - with a touch of viscosity, but a great expression of Riesling that wasn't sweet, nor bitter.

The K Vintner '06 Viognier was next. I ordered a few bottles for the restaurant. It was heavenly. Great floral notes, with mild oak, and a great mouth feel. On the red side, Charles Smith Holy Cow Merlot was quite delish - for a Merlot. Sweet notes, but not cherry soda - great backbone of spice, with dark Northwest berries and balanced by soft tannins. I bought a case to do by the glass.

My favorite was the Charles Smith Boom Boom Syrah which was named after a voluptuous red head he once dated.  Awesome fruit bursting off the bat with blue and black berries, roasted pluots, mild tannins.  I ordered two cases for the future.  I would definitely have this wine as my winter house wine.

I did not like the Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, which had 10% Malbec and 5% Cab Franc.  It's not that I didn't like it, per se, but I thought it was a bit over-priced for $20 a bottle retail, and the rep oversold it a bit. If it was served to me I would drink it, but I would be disappointed if I bought it at a store or ordered it at a restaurant.

We have carried the Milbrant Waluke Slope Syrah for a few vintages, '01 - '04, but missed the '05.  The '06 was super tight and showed little fruit.  The rep said it had been flown on on Monday, so it was probably bottle shocked.

Overall I really enjoyed Charles Smith's new wines and would recommend buying a bottle or having a glass if you find it.  Especially the Boom Boom Syrah and the Kung Fu Girl Riesling - because you know, Girls and Rieslings kick ass!

No comments: