Friday, March 21, 2008

03.12.08 /2005 Soos Creek Sundance


Jamie brown bagged this one and asked everyone what they thought. I didn't really like it - it was much too sweet - not riesling sweet, but an icky candied cherry, brandyish kirshy. I repeatedly made my disgust known, then ate a little bit of food. The pork chop, which toned down the wine a little.

Everyone else seemed to like it, with Jamie saying, "You really don't like it? I think it is good." He decanted it and continued his disbelief.

I opened a Ridge and decided to go back to the brown bagger after awhile.

Jamie revealed it to be the Soos Creek, which we have heard is really highly rated and hard to find. Not that ratings matter, but a hard to find wine that is considered cultish is always fun and interesting to try. He just ordered it off the website at $23 or so. I love Washington State wines, especially from the Columbia Valley, but this was not a fave.

Primarily Merlot (74%?), with some Cab Sav, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot (I believe). After it mellowed a bit, I returned to enjoy medium tannins, with rich blackberry flavors, with notes of earth - but it was too damn Merlot sweet for me!

No comments: