Friday, March 21, 2008

2006 Elena Walch Gerwurtztraminer Kastelaz

You know how much I love the previous vintages of this wine - 2003 and 2005 .

But this vintage, with at least 14 months in the bottle, is a different beast. Big alcohol nose with white flowers and various light aromatics - not as perfumed (yet) as previous vintages. Viscous, almost too much so, on the tongue, with an edge that reminds me a little of a highly distilled vodka (Jean Marc XO possibly?), with notes crushed juniper berries (Hendrick's Gin anyone?). All flavors I like, but not so much in this wine.

As I have tried previous vintages a year or two after their release, I know it is going to get better. I bought a case for BONDA, and we are still on the '05, so it will be around for awhile. It will be a nice foil to our savory vegetarian meal of falafel, hummus, tsatziki and salad.

No comments: