Friday, March 28, 2008

03.19.08 /2005 Skewis Pinot Noir Cuvee 115



It is always fun to try wine with an amigo, a cohort, a drinking buddy. Courtenay went to a book club meeting at the Russells, so Bill came over while I was watching Cooper to talk about a possible wine auction to benefit the Pequot Library. I opened a bottle of Skewis Pinot while we discussed the fact that people like to tell a story when they bring out a bottle of wine to open for guests.

Case in point, I told him my Skewis story. Jamie, Kevin and I plus our ladies went to Per Se last year. The guys had the tasting menu paired with a wine for each course. Each pairing was exquisite, and I feverishly wrote down each wine to see if we could get some for BONDA. Alas, none of them are sold in CT. We loved the Skewis particularly. Jamie called the winemaker to get some, but their production is so limited, that they really don't sell to that many restaurants. On a second call, Jamie convinced them to sell him a couple of bottles and he gave me two. This is my Skewis story.

Opening the wine felt a little guilty. I had been saving it for a bit, but really wanted to open it - it might have been too young, but delish all the same. It was sweet on the front end, but developed deep red fruit flavors in short order. There was a herbacious quality on the nose that smelled like marijuana. "High toned alcohol mixed with potting soil" is in my notes. That was a first impression. It was a touch hot, but turned totally awesome!

No comments: