Monday, March 10, 2008

2005 Elena Walch Kastelaz Gewurztraminer

I just got back from a very boozy wedding weekend down South, and have been a little slow to update all the great wines I have tried recently. I have been carrying around notes for two weeks, from state to state!

Court and Coop went down to Florida, so I am alone. For some reason, I gravitated to making something that she loves - a rich bolognese - possibly because I did not want to leave the house and had all the ingredients.

I love Elena Walch Gerwurztraminer and saw a bottle of the '05 in my white collection and thought, why not! The real reason is that we ran out of the '03 last week and are making the transition to the '05 on Wednesday.

Super floral nose, hyacinth, honey with a rich mouthfeel. Notes of pine and alcohol (in a good way). A little acidic on the stomach, but it could just be me. Not as complex as the EW KG '03, but in time it will further evolve. We only sell about 1 bottle every two years, so I have no fear that we will get to experience the maturation.

I am always impressed by the great consistency with her wines, as they are always fantastic and can age for years on end. We used to do her Pinot Grigio by the glass, but unfortunately with the sinking dollar, the price of her wines has consistently gone up year after year. It was the wine that turned be around on Pinot Grigio, as the majority of them are horrible, but hers has a subtle delish flavor that I enjoy.

No comments: