Thursday, October 11, 2007

2003 Elena Walch Kastelaz Gewurztraminer

Ah, Gewurztraminer, one of my favorite grapes. Court is off on a girl's dinner, her third in as many weeks, leaving me as the primary caregiver for our son. In taking that responsibility, I decided to open something good. I didn't realize I opened something special until I looked at the label.

Sweet honeysuckle on the nose, following with crisp pear on the tongue. Hints of spice, with full-body on the tongue - not super viscous, but pleasant and not cloying. A female winemaker from Alto Adige, in the northern Italian Alps. All of her wines are great, but this Gewurz realy sticks out as a winner.

I started drinking this wine in the 1998 vintage at Pasta Nostra. I think we are on the '05 at the restaurant - although no one ever orders it.

I was going to pick up some cod, but the rain made me run late and I remembered I had some pork and veal in the freezer. I couldn't decide on a recipe, but went with Batali's from the Babbo cookbook - thus the opening the white wine - with a little milk, mirepoux (although I only had onions and garlic), thyme and tomato paste. Still simmering while I enjoy a glass and contemplate opening a red!

No comments: