Saturday, May 17, 2008

05.13.08 /2002 Roccolo Grassi Valpolicella



I used to love this wine and think of it as a benchmark for Valpolicella, but maybe my palate has changed? We had the 2003 on Christmas Eve and it was all jumbled fruit and oak - no balance. My father-in-law didn't like it, nor I. I told Jamie and he thought I was crazy, but I took it off the list at BONDA nonetheless.

I was in the mood for something, & the '02 caught my eye. Generally I would share this wine as I only have two left and it is kind of expensive ($65), but I made a nice ragu of beef and heritage breed sausage from Ox Hollow Farms, so I wanted something to match it. I was disappointed.

Not so much jumbled as the 2003, it just didn't gel with me and my taste buds. A little oaky and sweet, I kept wanting to like it, but it just kept coming back unworthy. This has been a problem for me of late, and without anyone to taste with, I cannot validate if it is me or the wine. It is time for whites anyway!

No comments: