Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2003 Panther Creek Shea Vineyard


I opened a bottle of this Oregon Pinot on New Year's Eve for the Big Battle of Pinot from around the world. Everyone gave it a favorable review. Tonight my wife was drinking a glass of white (Ramey Sonoma Coast Chardonay) so I decided to look for a red to go with our curry, and found this bottle.

Off the bat, really tight, tannic and showing little fruit. I let it rest for awhile and came back to bright cherry (I hate that descrip), with some wild dark red berries, and notes of spice. The tannins dance in and out. Harsh one sip, mellow the next. The Tikka Chicken Curry was a little spicy, with an Algerian Cous Cous of sauteed yellow squash, garlic, asparagus and peas. Possibly not the best pairing, but it worked OK.

I let the wine sit for a little longer. Candied blackberries, leather, developed, following on the tongue - totally fruitier wine with the firm tannins supporting. Definitely can go in the bottle for another 5 years, and in the glass a few hours.

Checking back in, still the big fruit, but not goby and gooey like a Napa Cab. Little oak (probably the least of all the Panther Creeks) developing a vegetal /forrest floor quality - not Bordeaux like - but totally groovy, laid back Oregon style Pinot wet newspaperish. Still has the cherry edge, and stabilizing tannins.

I look forward to trying the '04s and '05s I have.

No comments: