Monday, August 25, 2008

2006 Cantina Tramin Gerwurztraminer


From Alto Adige, the beloved border region of Italy, this Gewurztraminer is the entry level Gerwurzt for Tramin, and I think it is the bees knees. I first had this wine at Pasta Nostra, when we also had their Pinot Nero. I ordered a few cases for BONDA the next day.

At first sip, a little viscous, with rose petals, pineapple and guava on the nose and a touch of spicy white pepper. Courtenay gets grapefruit and lavender on her palate, which I disagree with - but she is entitled to her opinion. We do agree on a stargazer lilly fragrance - not overwhelming, but comforting.

After awhile, the viscosity gives way to a touch of acidity, and round flavors of anise, rubber plant, petroleum jelly, and citrus zest. These are all very pleasant tastes, and I highly recommend this wine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"petroleum jelly" = pleasant taste. I guess I will have to take your word for it. Can't say I have ever tried eating it...