Monday, August 18, 2008

2004 Cianferoni Doccio a Matteo

Please see my review of the 2001 to see the personal history of this wine.

So after loving the 2001, I ordered a case for BONDA, only to be delivered the 2004. Jamie and I drank a bottle in May, but it was nowhere near ready to drink. Luckily I arranged with Colman to get a few bottles of the 2001 and traded him 3 2004s.

Anyway, I grabbed a bottle of the 2004 to see if it was ready, and it sort of is. I didn't decant it, but poured a glass and let it sit for about and hour. One the nose, wafts of alcohol, black plum, black pepper, with high notes of elderberry. On the tongue, tight tannins, with rich fruit.

The tannins really need to settle on this vintage. It went well with the bolognese I made, but on its own, it is way too tight.

Needs to sit for 2 years probably as the 2001 is now drinking awesomely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2004 Doccio a Matteo wine is at the first step of his life... one, two or more years, and Sangiovese mature like only Sangiovese do (like 2001...)