Tuesday, November 20, 2007

2002 Antonelli Sagrantino di Montefalco


So I ended up going to Paci tonight as Jamie did not need me at the restaurant and Courtenay forbade me from making anything in the kitchen - she is already in Nantucket for the week. I ran into the DiNardo brothers, Peter and Lenny. I went to college with Peter, but didn't really get to know him until the last few years in Fairfield - we all favor the same restaurants and wine stores!

Point being, they hosted me on a bottle they were drinking and I returned the favor with the Antonelli, which Nino, the som/host/manager suggested, and which I drank the last time I was there - see previous post. Anyway, I do not think they liked it as much as they only had a glass each, but who knows how much they had to drink before I got there!

Opening up, this Sagrantino is super dry (as they all are) but much more floral and fruity than the Beas I am used to, plus only $67 on the list. Nose almost of sherry or port with hints of alcohol, dried prunes, allspice and something else, served a bit to cold as well. Dense blackberry, dark chocolate, a little medicinal on the tongue. Definitely not tasting as well as the last time I had it - but it could be me. Tannins are surprisingly mellow for the grape - again the last time I had it was superb - I'm sure I will have it again, and will anote the post when that happens!

No comments: