Friday, November 16, 2007

2003 Ferro Carlo Barbera D'Asti "Roche"


I am not a big fan of Barbera or Barbaresco in general - I just never have had that many that I love at the right price - so I was really jazzed when when I tried the Roche in the 2000 bottling. It was fantastic so I put it on the list.

The problem with our wine list is that we love Italian wines, but they really do not go with our food. SEE sample menu and last year's wine list: BONDA

So I took this Roche off the list when we sold out of our stock (last weekend) but now I kind of regret it. Just off the nose, I love this wine. Seductive cherry, currant, bay, hints of cola, following on a mellow mouthfeel with medium tannins enough to balance the dark berry fruit with an airplane glue finish - I mean that in a good way, almost like a Pepe. Not dry, not wet - just right. It is definately a red teeth wine and needs big food.

For Court I made spinach and ricotta ravioli, for myself meatballs in the same basic tomato sauce with some bread. Another peasant meal for an enlightened Italian. On the list I think it is in the high 50s.

No comments: