Wednesday, November 14, 2007

2005 Dom. du Pavillon-Mercurol Crozes Hermitage


Another wine I picked up from the fountainhead a few weeks ago. I am trying to build my under $25, drinkable wine cellar, instead of my $50 should not be drinking for two to ten years wine cellar. My in-laws are snowbirding it to Florida for a few days, so my wife wanted to have them over for a meal. I made a stewy, gumbo type meal with many beans, rice and sausage. It turned out quite delish. I thought the Crozes would be a good pairing.

As soon as I opened this syrah blend, I knew that my father-in-law, Jim, would like this wine. Smokey pencil lead on the nose, with whaffs of charcoal and dark, dark chocolate without any sweetness at all. On the tongue, almost bitter, with savory notes of black pepper, bay leaf, bitter earth - almost scorched - and whole juniper berries. Medium tannins, with no fruit, not super rich and heavy, but not a lightweight either. Having said this, it is a fantastic wine, but could have used another year or two to balance out. As I thought, it did go nicely with the gumbo.

No comments: