Friday, January 25, 2008

01.24.08 / 2002 Fairview Primo Pinotage

I like South African wine enough to drink it if it is served to me, but my friends the Russells really love it, and collect it. They spent their honeymoon in South Africa, and also know a bit about wine. All four of us went out in NYC after a swanky engagement party to Xai Xai (pronounced shy shy), a new South African Wine Bar which serves small plates.

I wanted to go so they could show me some great SA wines, and to sample some of the cuisine, since I know very little about it.

Unfortunately, I did not take any notes or snap any pics. The conversation was too good! They also had a funky band playing what sounded a lot like Vampire Weekend SA music, and we were sitting by the door, and it was very loud and it was a small place.

Bill selected the 2002 Fairview Pinotage from a list of about 25 reds. The waiter told us that demand was so high for Pinotage (they opened in December), that it was the only one left at $78. They discounted it to $50. Bill said that all of the wines were horribly marked up, but $50 was a fair price.

The last time I had Pinotage, it was like drinking Penzoil, but I respected Bill's judgement. He and Erin had visited the winery (they also make Goats do Roam) and said it was spectacular.

We order a bit of everything off the menu with a Riesling and Gurwertzraminer for Court and I to split. The wine was delivered in these little, not beakers, but not quartinos either - just a mini cool glass decanters that you could also be at home in a chem lab. I was impressed with the wine (the dry Riesling was particularly stunning) but they were $13 and $14 a glass - although the size was more like a glass and a half. We could have easily just shared one!

I still was a little worried about the red. Our waiter opened the bottle, and gave me a taste. I think the expression on my face was one of disbelief. It was really good. Soft, with hints of berry - the age really mellowed out what I expected - with supporting tannins and a plush finish. It was wonderfully balanced, even getting better as it sat in the glass. Reminiscent of a fabulous Oregon Pinot Noir without the big bite.

Our small plates came, and we ordered more, while drinking the Pinotage and laughing. We even decided on our new son's name.

I think we would of all had more to drink and dessert to eat, but it was getting late and we had a car waiting to take us back to CT - like the suburbanites we are.

1 comment:

Peter F May said...

Glad you liked the Pinotage. Primo is a single vineyard wine and a step up from the standard Fairview.
I'd like to quote you in my blog.