Friday, January 11, 2008

2006 Alban Vineyards Viognier

Ah, the central coast for Rhone style wines. I first heard of Alban from Mark Ancona of Fountainhead fame, who told me to get as many people as I could to sign up for their mailing list, then give them to him so he could get some wine. The first offering I got was for one bottle of $92 wine. I passed on getting it, and never received another offering.

I walked into the Fountainhead in September, and saw they had a good amount of Viognier, a Rhone grape that a few American producers have taken to putting in single bottlings. They get it from NY State, from their other store. I bought a few bottles, drank a few bottles, and will buy some more and drink some more.

It is a wine of paradox and contrasts: sweet and savory, oaky and crisp. I need to drink more to wrap my taste buds around it!

No comments: