Friday, January 4, 2008

2003 Battle Burgundy v. Oregon: '03 Dom. Jean Grivot Nuites-St.-Georges 1er Cru "Les Boudots" v. '03 Panther Creek Shea Vineyard



Suprising upset by the Panther Creek. Again, I got a bunky bottle of the Grivot. It wasn't corked, it wasn't cooked, it just wasn't good. I keep reminding myself how great the '02 was, and keep bumming myself out the the '98 and '03 was just horrible. We left about the 1/2 the bottle. I recommended people try it just to see, and some were polite and others just made a face - I think someone spit it out! One guest commented: "Tasted like high priced mud from the bottom of my well". Needless to say, it was in last place at the end of the night.

Ken Wright founded Panther Creek and after he left in the late 90s, they went through a bit of a rough patch. We have carried their wines for three years and I am always mostly pleased by them. The '03 Shea took the top standing overall, and I sometimes forget how good it is - definitely stands up to my other Oregon favorite small producers, Cameron, Patty Green, E.I.E.I.O., J. Christopher, but has a style all its own. Guest comment: "Shea Vineyard shines. Pencil lead with an edge."

No comments: