Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2006 Barnett Vineyards Sangiacomo Vineyard Carneros Chardonnay


Nothing like Cali Chard. Carneros is cooler than Napa, I think, and produces Chard and Pinots that don't have all the heavy fruit, butter, oak. At least in my opinion.

I bought the 2005 vintage of this wine for BONDA, after trying it at the Wine Thief with Coleman and Noah. They thought it was totally overdone, but I thought it had a nice balance with a lot of big fruit - that our customers want - without too much oak.

The 2006 is a little leaner, to my tasting, but still is young and I am drinking it way too cold. I picked up a bottle from BONDA and put it in the freezer while I made a piece of cod and cous cous.

I did not realize, but CT only gets a few cases of the 480 made from Barnett - and it goes quick. We have been sitting on the '06 for a few months, and it is almost time to premier it on the list.

There is an interesting spiciness that is developing, almost like a mild clove or cardamom, hints of cinnamon. The nose is floral, but not over pronounced with nothing terribly sweet, more of a tarragon and lily of the valley. Not too viscous on the tongue, but with some weight. Touches of oak and smoke - if someone likes their wines unoaked, then this is not for them - but it is not overwrought or fake. I can see how someone with a bias against Cali Chard would not like this wine. I probably would not have liked it three years ago as well.

But it is great in my humble opinion, and I really do like it now. I can think of a Rombaer (sp?) or Silver Oak (do they make a Chard?) with big fleshy, oaky, seemingly unnatural flavors. Barnett is not cheap - $58 or so on our list - but it can satisfy a Cali Chard lover, and someone who occationally wants that taste in a refined wine.

I thought Court would give me a killer quote, but she just called the wine bitter and one dimensional. Oh well, to each their own!

No comments: