Friday, January 11, 2008

2005 Kistler Sonoma Coast Les Noisetiers

Just to show you the power of Kistler, I opened this bottle a week ago and left about 6 oz. in it, corked and in the fridge. When we had it, it was super smoky, had some floral notes, and delish. I just didn't feel like writing about it, and it is too young. I bought a case when my son was born, and open them occationally to check out the progress. Unfortunately I am a bit of a Kistler slut and only have five bottles left.

I was clearing out the fridge, making room for a marinating pork pernil, and thought I would finish it off. It is outstanding, better than most wines at first open. Smoked lily bulb, hints of saffron, just the right mouthfeel. And still surprisingly crisp and nimble. It speaks loads for this wine to still be delish after a week. It makes me want to open another bottle! But I will be good.

I will disclose that I had the utmost disregard for Kistler for a number of years - over oaked butter bomb. Elitist snobs I thought of those who drank it and bought it. But I started to drink it, and buy it for the restaurant, and buy it for myself and my wife got into it and we started ordering it at restaurants (if it was a single vineyard and resonably priced) and now I really like the majority of their wines - mostly Chards though. When Jamie and I first had one of their Pinot Noirs in 2004, we looked at each other and said holy shit, this really is a good wine.

Possibly overpriced, but it is Kistler.

No comments: