Sunday, December 30, 2007

12.24.07 2006 Kingston Vineyards Cariblanco Sauvignon Blanc


Full disclosure: This wine is produced by my friend's (Sam Kingston) family. I bought a case for the restaurant a few months ago, but have not tried the wine until now. We also carry their Pinot Noir, Tobiano, which is killer for $32 on our list.

Jim and I had their Cariblanco as a cocktail white on Xmas Eve. There was a time when I did not like Sauvignon Blanc. It was like Chardonnay, and Pinot Grigio - just too common place. I loved Sancerre and white Burgs in my teens, but sometimes naming the grape just turns me off. Since the opening of BONDA, we have a had a Sav Blanc by the glass from Casa Julia - it really changed my mind on the grape - big citrus with a little cat pee on the nose and just so smooth.

I have to say the Cariblanco is gorgeous. Super clean yet somewhat rich for a Chilean Sav Blanc. On the palate, refreshing citrus is the first burst - mostly grapefruit with hints of lime zest and tangerine. Secondary notes of grassy caramel with a long finish. No peepee di gato whatsoever. Really easy to drink a lot of.

Court gave it the "Ummmm, this is good," review and wished she wasn't pregnant. I would order more, but CT is totally sold out. There is always the next vintage!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will bring you a check this evening to compensate you for your positive review - Sam