Wednesday, December 19, 2007

2006 Ken Wright Cellars Celilo Vineyard Chardonnay

I have only tried a handful of Ken Wright wines, but I have loved every one of them. Pinot Noir from the Carter and Canary Hill Vineyards of 2001, Pinot Blanc from 2004 - all from Oregon. This Chardonnay is from Washington State from grapes grown in shot soil on Underwood Mountain, a sleeping volcano. I do not think I have ever had a Washington State Chard - Buty makes a Semillon/Sav Blanc blend which is pretty awesome, but no Chards.

This wine is pretty great. On the tongue a little bitter, with great balance of acidity and little friut, notes of pine nuts, and something sweet - possibly a bit of fried calamari? I defrosted a fennel pomodoro sauce and cooked up some Capellini, so not the best combo for a flavor profile. A touch of burnt rubbing alcohol on the nose, with stale candy corn possibly? No oak whatsoever although the label says barrel fermented - maybe steel barrel? It is reminicent of a Patty Green Chardonnay, in that it tastes like the Northwest, but has a dash of Burgundy in there. If I knew more about the region, I could tell you from where exactly - a region where the soil is rocky with wonderful airation (SP?. Nothing like Dom. Serene's Chards which are hailed as Burgundian and I also love.

Mike (from FH) has come down hard on Ken Wright for his religious views and his belief that he has saved the Oregon wine industry. It is unfortunate, since Mike used to import them back in the day. Now, very little Ken Wright wine comes into CT and it is all white.

I probably should not be drinking it now as it just arrived in state, but I couldn't wait. See my future Ken Wright posts to see why. I got a case of the Chard for the restaurant blind, and I am not disappointed. This wine will be great in the spring of 2008. The Pinot Blanc took about 8 months to come around as well, and it was super tasty!

No comments: