Saturday, December 15, 2007

2002 Dom. Jean Grivot Nuites-St.-Georges 1er Cru "Les Boudots"


Ah yes, a long name. One of the regions I know the least about is Burgundy - not because I am lazy, but there are so many sub domaines, so many producers and so many different vineyard sites to learn for wines that I think are generally over priced and am not going to buy for BONDA, my cellar or at a restaurant unless someone tells me what to get and it is reasonable. I am usually disappointed when I order them out or buy them at a wine shop. At most wine tastings, the Burgundies I love are in the $800 to $2000 a case price, which is pushing it for me and the restaurant.

Like the last post, this wine was given to me by a friend, Sam Kingston, when we hosted he and his wife. This Pinot Noir is, I hate to say it, spectacular. Very reminicent of an Oregon Pinot made in the Burgundian fashion! It makes me want to go and find the distributor to buy more for BONDA. Jamie would be very jealous that I did not share the bottle with him!

Floral on the nose, with deep bass notes of cassis, tamed oak and grapevine/soil. The palate keeps changing, with muted fruit, medium firm tannins - not terribly dry, long balanced finish of candied carmels and charcoal.

No comments: