Friday, December 7, 2007

2003 Drew Syrah Rodney and Larner Vineyard


I love Drew's wines, almost everyone of them from Buellton, CA. We always try to feature on of their Syrah's on our list at BONDA. In 2003, only 150 cases of wine from the R & L Vineyard was made. That is only 1800 bottles. Let's say each bottle is shared by four people, that is only 7,200 people who will have the pleasure of drinking this exact wine. Sure there are smaller productions, sure there are people hoarding bottles of wine that may never get drunk, but I like to think that I am sharing in an experience that very few will experience. And I have two bottles.

This bottle is from Rob Makin's legendary porch sale, I would have bought more if he had more to sell. As I have mentioned, I love Syrah and Pinot Noir. Two grapes that really reveal terrior and the winemaker in my book. I mean look at all the tiny producers in Burgundy and the Rhone who produce wines that are so markedly different - same with California, Oregon and Washington - same grapes, totally different climates, conditions, soil, vine age, style etc..... Ah my faves.

Tonight is one of those nights where Court is out with her girlfriends and I am spending some QT with my main man Cooper. We were going to go to BONDA, but it is snowing and the roads could be troublesome. I was going to have a steak and drink the 2003 Oracle from Miner Family with Jamie. There is always tomorrow. Coop and I made a mildly spicy chili, for which I usually favor a Pinot, but I have been looking at this bottle of Drew for the last two weeks with a longing.

Rodney's and Larner Vineyard is in the Santa Ynez Valley, near where my college friend Brian Denner makes Rhone style wines - his best being Denner Syrah. R & L smells like funky Syrah, which is good, then mellows a bit. The colour is dark blueberry/blackberry. Lots of tar, acetone, mangoish rotting tropical fruit on the nose, with whafts of prune. And I mean this in a good way! On the palate, paint with notes of dark broiled fruit and hints of pine, candied baby powder and tight tannins with a real depth - classic Syrah. I love it!

No comments: