Thursday, December 13, 2007

2003 Miner Family The Oracle

Great Bordeaux style California central coast wine that I thought was highly allocated and a real cult wine. I bought a six pack for the restaurant, thinking that I couldn't taste it beforehand, and it was hard to get. Then Coleman walked into BONDA and said he had tried the wine four times and his rep was always trying to sell him on it. At 400 or so a six pack it is a hard sell for a wine that a lot of people have never heard of.

At first I was disappointed. A neighbor down the road shared a bottle of Miner Family Pinot Noir from Gary's Vineyard at a party this summer. It was pretty delish. She said if I could ever find The Oracle, to get it - so I did and it was a little bunk. After 45 mins or so of decanted it started to open up a bit. Heavy oak bomb, with big California fruit. 53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% or so Cab Franc, some Merlot and Malbec as well as Petit Verdot. All sourced from the same vineyard site. We were happy in the end, but will put a caveat on the wine list saying it is too young.

No comments: