Tuesday, April 1, 2008

03.27.08 /Chapallet Mountain Cuvee 2005

The 2004 vintage of this wine is one of my go to house wines, so I was excited to try the '05. A bit of a disappointment, but should get better over time. I can taste a wine and imagine how it will grow, or dissipate - how the tannins will mellow, alcohol will burn off, sweetness relax. But that is not always the case. That is, I cannot always imagine where it will go and if I do, it is not always a correct assessment!

57% Cabernet Sauvignon and 41% Merlot - but the Merlot seems to dominate as it is much sweeter than the previous vintage (which I think had Petit Verdot or Cab Franc). Also it is pretty hot with 14.6% alcohol. It smells a little generic with big black fruit and tons of oak. The Parkerization of wine. This could settle. Not an oak bomb, but very new oaky.

I was at BONDA, so I had the Lamb Tenderloin with Eggplant and Tomato Timbale. The lamb complemented the wine and tamed it a bit. I bought four bottles, hoping to order more (as we went through about 10 cases of the last vintage) but I do not think there will be another order for a few months.

I wasn't floored, and that is how I need to be to put a wine on the list at BONDA.

No comments: