Monday, April 28, 2008

2003 Cascina Garita Bricco Garitta Barbera d'Asti


This Barbera is a wine imported by the boys at the Fountainhead, that I have loved since the 1998 vintage. It was the first wine we had by the glass at BONDA, and keep circling it every year when the timing and supply is right. The wine is unfined and unfiltered, and can throw off some serious sediment.

This bottle though, is just right. Featuring a nose of dried plums, eucalyptus, acetone, herbaceous leather and pepper. Not an overbearing wine - you can drink it alone - but not that light either. This vintage offers big high toned fruit like bosenberry or gooseberry without being fruity by a dry, smooth, lingering finish. Medium tannins support and grip the tongue.

I remember the first night I fell in love with the '98 vintage. I was by myself in our Rowayton apartment in the fall of 2002 - Jamie was a away for the weekend and I hadn't started dating my wife yet. I had lasagna take-out from Abbondanza and cracked the bricco. I hadn't loved the wine when I first tasted it, but Mark gave me a bottle "for my head". I had a glass, nice I thought. Had another with my meal and the bottle was soon empty. I left a message for Mark praising the wine and have been a loyal follower ever since!

Now here is the hard part of my job. I love the wine, but entering into the summer is not the best time for it to be by the glass. I would love to have it on the list as an inexpensive Italian at 34 bucks, but the minimum is a 2 case order? I would also like some for myself, so maybe I will order the two cases, keep 1 and put one on the list! Decisions, decisions.

No comments: