Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mongibello 2 by Frank Cornelissen



To start off, I think this wine is amazing. That being said, it is not for everyone. My wife said it looks like the piss of someone sick, and when she took a sip, she spit it out. The colour is a rich amber, like a Belgian Ale or a light cider. The taste gives you a little spark on the tongue, and follows with a mellow mouth filling rich sensation similar to drinking cologne - which I have done before (just to see what it tasted like). The finish is dry, also like the finish of a perfume. And I like this.

I have never heard of the grapes: 52% Grecanico dorato, 28% Coda di volpe, and 20% Carricante. Huh? Mark discovered the winemaker, a crazy German, in Italy - I think at VinItaly - and went to visit him in Sicily. He brought back this white, and two reds, which are also very unique.

This is the second bottle I have drunk, the first of which I brought to Sam's house a few weeks back. He liked the wine, but I got the impression he wasn't a big fan. Jamie tried it as well, but again it was uncertain how he felt about it. I just love it because it is so different. There is no point of reference for me to compare it to anything else. It just exists in its own space. At least for my palate.

No comments: