Friday, April 11, 2008

04.10.08 /2006 Kingston Family Alazan Pinot Noir


Full disclosure - I went to college with Sam Kingston and he lives about 1/4 mile from me, is a BONDA customer and a friend. I have been sitting on a case of this wine since Xmas. Sam and I had a bottle then, and it was a little tight.

Court and I went to BONDA for dinner after we went to the Kickoff Party for Autism Speaks Fairfield County Walk Now For Autism. I had a glass of Gruner, and we cracked the Alazan - named for a favorite horse of the family. Just like the stallion, the wine was very lively and spirited with dried raspberry and whiffs of alcohol on the nose. Candied strawberry and hints of effervescence on the tongue. No oak, but cedar plays and salted buttered popcorn on the finish (thanks Jamie!).

I had a braised short rib with celery root and horseradish puree that was a perfect complement. The fruit of the wine playing off the bass notes of the beef and the sharp cut of the horseradish. There was a big salt play to the dish that the sweetness of the wine counterbalanced. As my main I had a roasted Halibut with pea and potato puree - it held up the pinot as it is not so heavy, I think the '05 Tobiano was a "heavier" wine with more oak and hard finish, whereas the Alazan is playful and light, but still has serious fruit.

It is on the BONDA list at $50.

No comments: