Friday, February 8, 2008

02.01.08 / 116 Crown Restaurant





After reading the fantastic NY Times article about 116 Crown in New Haven, Steve and I decided we should go. Court had made plans to go to New Hampshire for a bachlorette party, so I made plans with Steve and Sally for dinner. Court ended up not going, so the four of us supped at the newish restaurant.

The only place they had room for us was in the Tea Room, which was kinda cool, but very isolated - good and bad. It was nice to catch up with Sally in our own space. A 10 x 12 brickd wall with funky lighting, leather ottomans, and small tables. We each sat in a corner, while Sally's iPod played chill tunes, and noshed on small plates.

Elm City Wino loves the place, and raved about the wine list ("best in CT"), but I disagree. They had some interesting bottles, Sean Thackery Wines being my favorite, but not enough to really earn that cred. If I lived in New Haven, we would probably go quite often and I would drink more off their list.

I had some really great wines by the glass, but I will get to those after I look at their wine list again!

2 comments:

Matt Uva said...

Haha! I've been catching a lot of flack for the "best wine list" comment. My reasoning behind the claim is 116's aim for quality and scarcity over quantity. The list sees changes weekly as allocations are burned up and new wines come into the market. I think you'd agree that a good 70% of their list is comprised of wines you rarely see in CT restaurants, and I love the use of the couvinet system for higher end wines by the glass.

Oh, and Thackrey is the bomb.

-elmcitywino

Alex Sicre said...

I do agree that the wine list is better than the majority of CT restaurants, but it takes time (and money) to accure a great cellar! I'd happily drink there three nights a week!