Sunday, February 17, 2008

2006 Belle Pente Pinot Noir Dundee Hills


At the Mackin Tasting at BONDA, we had this Belle Pente as the 10th or so vino. Rob said it wasn't showing that well due to shock and time in bottle. I ordered a case anyway as he practically sold out of it before it came into the state.

Off the cork, it was like strawberry wine - super light and fruity. Then it went through a skanky dark period of muck. I made a skirt steak and veggie stir fry (marinated in soy sauce, ginger, honey, balsamic, onions, and chinese 5 spice). The steak made the wine sing, bringing out medium tannins, bright fruit and that Oregon depth I love. It still has a bit of funk, which is odd for Belle Pente. Usually their wines are floral and reserved.

After two hours, it was still kicking, with a little RS build up. I think it is a little too young, but I was anxious to try it again.

When I first tried Brian's (I think that is his name) wines, we had a tasting at BONDA with he and Joe Davis from Arcadian. I said "How can you do this? Joe's wines blow Belle Pente out of the water!" Rob said that others said the same thing in reverse! Over the four years since then, I have grown to love Belle Pente. The wines need more time in the bottle, and are a bit young when released, but give them a year and they will reward you plenty. The '04 Murto Vineyard is prime right now, and we plowed through about a case of 2005 Belle Pente Vineyard Chardonnay at my house last year.

I believe this is the first production of the "Dundee Hills" designate for BP. The AVA is only two or three years old in the Willamette Valley - I think the wine was just Willamette before. J. Christopher, Cameron, and I think Patty Green all have wines with the same title, so it is a good boat to be in. I don't remember the price, but I believe it will go on the list for $45 or so. A fair price in my book, although I am going to hold off for a little while to put it on the list at BONDA.

No comments: