Friday, February 8, 2008

2002 McCrea Syrah


I selected this wine while choosing wines for tomorrow's bachelor party. We are going to Joseph's, which has a mediocre wine list, but their corkage is only $20. Jamie is bringing a few wines, Ryan is bringing some Dom, and I am bringing some wines. I thought about bringing the McCrea, but thought I might as well get in shape, as I really haven't had any wine this week.

First opened it was chilly (stored at 55 degrees), but smooth and delish. The age really burned off a lot of the alcohol that these Syrahs usually have. This is anotherwine from the legendary Mackin porch sale - it just keeps on giving!

Settled down a bit after an hour, and started to warm up a bit. The McCreaness started to shine through. A little oaty on the nose, with beef jerky and dried raspberry. Touches of cough syrup (in a good way), with that mealy flavour (also in a good way).

We had chinese, pork fried rice and veggie lo mein - which was not a good compliment. I don't know if it screwed with my palate, but I'm at a loss for words!

No comments: