Wednesday, February 20, 2008

2002 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Syrah


Don't know why I chose this wine tonight. I have been saving it to have with short ribs, or steak - definitely not what is on the menu tonight: cod with cous cous. But, it has been a tradition for Cooper and I to have a bottle of Syrah when his mommy abandons us on Wednesday nights.

I have had Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Sleepy Hollow, but didn't know they grew Syrah as well. Planted in 1998 with cuttings that Randall Graham (Bonny Doon) delivered from the Rhone River Valley to Sam Baldaras of Talbott. Joe Davis was offered some of the grapes and bought them to do his own exploration of Syrah. Although the heritage is unknown, Joe says "...quite interesting and the resultant fruit very delicious, reminiscent of the old world funk we like."

I am going to agree with the winemaker. I find, a perfumed nose of earth, charred vines, chocolate covered strawberries (?) - surprisingly does not reveal its alcohol one bit (13.9%). I know this sounds wonky, but it really makes me feel like I am in the Santa Lucia Highlands on a brisk spring night, watching a bonfire smoke up and trail off into the hills with the ocean breeze. Yes, wonky.

Burnt oak on the tongue with blackberry pie, thyme, pure joy with a touch of bitterness (like life, no?).  Surprisingly dry on the finish, but lingering. In the old world style, but nods to CA as well. It doesn't need food, but would probably benefit from it, as the stolen bits of Cooper's avocado are adding more depth, sweetness and high tones fruit - although that could be the oxidation?

It's times like these when I wish more Arcadian was sold in CT, as I think this was a lay around sample from Rob's New York book. I will investigate!

No comments: