Friday, February 8, 2008

01.25.08 / 2004 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Peay Vineyard


If you have read my previous Williams Selyem post , you know I am a big fan of Bob's wines. Albeit a new fan of two years. I met the Peay brothers' sister in Bridgehampton a few years back and have been looking for their wines ever since. They make Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the Sonoma Coast which are supposed to be excellent, they also sell their fruit. Truth be told, I haven't looked that hard, just in stores, at restaurants and CT distributors (of which there are none).

Our friends Jay and Jayma came for a visit, and WS is one of Jay's favorite producers. I have been saving the Peay Vineyard Pinot, since I was only alloted one, ever, and thought it the perfect time to open it. I brought home some zaza from Pepe's and Modern to do a little taste test. Pepe's straight up cheese won, of course.

I was very disappointed with the wine. There was nothing wrong with it, quite tasty. It had the tell tale WS style, light raspberry, soft tannins, etc.... there just was not anything special about it. At $75 from the vineyard, and two years of looking at the bottle, I expected a lot!

Oh well, we will see if I ever get alloted any more. Next round is at the end of the month. Court finally got on the list as well, so hopefully we will have more buying power!

No comments: