Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sean Thackery Pleiades XVI Old Vines


The new shipment of Pleiades for BONDA arrived today. 4 cases to start. I haven't tried it yet, so I just opened a bottle. It is a lot more expensive than the XIV, but well worth it - will be $62 or so on the list as opposed to $52.

The label is still the same:

"The object of Pleiades is to be delicious, delight the jaded, offend the snob and go well with anything red wine goes with."

Bottle in January of 2008, a very late bottling for Thackery; he gives nothing up as far as composition:

"...includes Syrah, Barbera, Carignane, Petite Syrah, Sangiovese, and Viognier to name but a few."

For those of you who read this blog regularly, you know that this is my favorite wine, year after year. Each bottle is always different, always delish.

This bottle of the new vintage is lighter than the last XV I had, with a dark rust color, slightly opaque in the light. Big alcohol on the nose (probably because of its youth) with high cherry cola notes, earthy sweet pine, mint chocolate, with an earthy mushroom and coffee depth.

On the tongue, pure delight! Light and delicate at first, surprisingly medium tannins, with a roasted dark fruit, edgy coffee, thyme, and a bit of funk. I love this wine.

I originally wasn't going to open a bottle as the wine is probably travel shocked, but my father-in-law just got back and was visiting the boys. He loves Pleiades as well, he saw the case, and asked when we were going to try it. I said "Right now", and cracked the bottle.

His thoughts: "there is a certain softness, that is building Cinnamon, subtle cherry, What I love about the wine is the flow of oil that carries all the flavor. When I love a wine, that is what it has - that flow carrying the flavors".

Thanks Jim for the help in tasting the new vintage!

No comments: