Monday, October 22, 2007

10.21 2003 Lieb Chardonnay

I am really behind on my updates, so I will go from most recent to a month previous. On Saturday, Kevin and Rebecca came over for dinner. I was running very late, so we cracked a bottle of 2003 Lieb Vineyards Chardonnay from the North Fork of Long Island. A surprisingly very good wine.

Jamie had read about Lieb, and mentioned the winery to me. When Courtenay and I were in Bridgehampton in 2006, we went for a little wine tour of the North Fork and made a point of stopping at Lieb. At the time, I thought the wines were ok, a little flabby with little structure. BUT, when we opened this wine on Saturday, it was fantastic.

Little oak, but full bodied and crisp. Very minerally for a Chard, but it was refreshing, with notes of vanilla, cardamom and pine. I wish I had more bottles, as I only had one left, and I was saving it as a late night go to. Good thing I had it on a fresh palate!

No comments: