Wednesday, October 17, 2007

2005 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

YES, I am being very selfish tonight. I had a great conference call and a returned NDA today, so I'm feeling pretty good. A friend of mine from college used to work at William Selyem and I always thought they made pretentious, overripe Californian Pinot oak jam - but to give them a chance I signed up for the waiting list. And waited, and waited for two years. I got on it almost three years ago and am pretty happy with their wines. Either my tastes have changed or they are making better Pinots. Granted the first two cycles I could only buy three bottles, then six, and now I think I am up to a full case of different Pinots - only a few from each vineyard site, and none from some of them.

The 2005 WS Russian River Valley Pinot Noir is their entry level with the Sonoma Coast - $45 a pop. The wine is light and boyant - with bright raspberry with a little oak. Some candied strawberry flavors, with an almost pot like whaffs of soil and burning pine straw. Overall a delish wine. I only had five bottles and now I am down to three. I put one away for the five year test and will wait to share the others. It might be too young to drink now, but I am sometimes impatient.

No comments: