Thursday, October 11, 2007

2003 Poggio Trevalle Larcille

A Sangiovese from Morellino di Scansanso, a coastal Tuscan appelation that is superb. I have had three other Morellinos and they have all sucked ass. This wine opens with what Jamie likes to call baby diapers on the nose - plush tannic rich seaside pine trees opening into muted fruit but big bright roasted plum medium tannins that really grip your tongue and say I'm here and Italian!

We bought about five or six cases of this wine on discount for the restaurant and served it by the glass. It has been my go to Italian at home. There is the question: when you are alone, as I am often in drinking red wine since my wife only drinks champagne and white, do you go for something good or something you like or something cheap?

I have a modest cellar, 350 or so bottles, all great wine, some laid down, some to save for something special, but I find myself drinking great one off bottles by myself because I am a selfish prick. I only get a handful of William Seylem Pinots a year - do you think I am going to share my last bottle of 2003 Bucher Vineyard?

Point being, Larchille on the shelf is about $28 or so and I love to share it, but I also drink a fair amount by myself because I will save the other half of the bottle for another night, or cook with it and not feel so bad or feel that I have to finish the bottle. And it is a fantastic wine with pasta or risotto or osso bucco - you name it - I hate to sound stereotypical, but Italian wine goes with Italian food!

No comments: