Saturday, October 13, 2007

2005 Nickel and Nickel Truchard Vineyard Chardonnay

We are on Nantucket for the weekend. Last night we popped into The Boarding House, off and on our favorite restaurant on the island. I ordered the belly tuna tartare - yeah, not very original, but it was layered with goat cheese - and a local fluke served with local beets and a walnut aoli. Pretty tasty.

To drink, a bottle of N & N Truchard Vineyard Chard from Carneros. Nickel and Nickel being an off shoot of Far Niente - a brand that I said I would never like - but the sons are surpassing the father with their single vingeyard single varietal wines. This is the second time I tried the Truchard Chard - the first being in July at Boarding House as well. It is $75 on their wine list, I think about $24 wholesale.

It is a surprisingly lightly oaked Cali Chard, slightly grassy and bitter, with bright acidity and an oaky finish. Somewhat spicy for a chard, with starfruit & guava notes, and a super mellow finish. Not what I would drink on a hot day in the summer, but delish nonetheless.

No comments: