Friday, October 26, 2007

2001 Campion Pinot Noir Firebeak Vineyard

This California Pinot from the Edna Valley is a recommendation from our friend Coleman at the Wine Thief, who occationally helps us out at BONDA. On the nose it is super candied raspberry with hints of oak. On the tongue, mild tannins support ripe red berries and woodland floor. A nice Cali Pinot, a bit on the fruity side and on the high tip: $56 on the shelf. I prefer drinking the Kynsi (from the Edna Valley as well) at $38.

BUT the Campion is a single vineyard wine and a 2001 - which was an awesome year in that region. The Kynsi is a 2004 - but is drinking supreme. I could only imagine what the Campion tasted like at 3 years, or 4, as it could use some more time in the bottle to mellow out the high notes.

But I like my Pinots basey anyway. The only other 2001s I have are from Oregon, which I think was a good year as well. I will have to get to them soon!

No comments: